Why you should avoid fad diets? Know its consequences
Most people actually want to lose weight as quickly as possible, and our culture expects instant gratification and immediate results. Fad diets promise quick and dramatic weight loss. They are increasingly enamored by younger generations looking to lose weight fast and conform to societal beauty norms.
These diet regimens have gained popularity thanks to a few celebrities who swear by them. Fad dieting can be a short-term, instant way to lose weight, but doing it repeatedly may actually lead to weight gain. Weight loss can be achieved by following any diet that consumes fewer calories than you burn.
Some other alluring reasons why people choose fad diets is that people these days want to lose weight as fast as possible with as little effort as possible, and fad diets promise exactly that. Fad diets include simple foods that are readily available, don't include complicated dishes, and are simple enough for anyone to follow. Most fad diets include a variety of really tasty meals and recipes that satisfy a person's taste buds while also aiding in weight loss.
Most fad diets work by limiting your total calorie consumption. This often requires eliminating entire food groups, which can lead to a nutritionally unbalanced diet. To lose weight, you have to make sure you're not consuming too many calories. Fad diets restrict protein consumption and also dehydrate the body. As a result, not only do people lose weight, but they can become very unwell.
Some suggestions to help you stay on track:
- Start a daily food journal to keep track of what you eat and help you make better food choices.
- Plan and prepare meals each day — including snacks — to prevent junk food when you're hungry.
- Start your day with a hearty breakfast.
- Fill half of your plate with veggies/salad and the other half with protein and carbs.
- Instead of frying or baking, try boiling, steaming, broiling, poaching, or microwaving food.
- It's best to exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Occasionally you can enjoy some of your favorite snacks.
- It's best not to miss meals because you'll feel tired, hungry, and possibly have a headache.
- It is best to limit alcohol consumption as it contains a lot of calories.
Finally, remember to consult your doctor before starting a diet if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, or other medical issues.
Being part of a trend can make almost anyone try to follow it, but one should always remember that food is absolutely essential to the functioning of the body and eating right is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Consult your nutritionist before starting a weight loss program. They can review any medical conditions or medications you are taking that may affect your weight and recommend a plan for you.
(Input from IANS)