How Does Jowar Help In Weight Loss? 5 Quick Recipes To Incorporate It Into Your Diet
Jowar is an excellent choice for those who want to lose weight. It contains hard-to-digest carbohydrates, which also help diabetics keep blood sugar levels in an optimal range.
Jowar (sorghum) has a worldwide reputation for being gluten-free. It offers the goodness of whole grains. It is one of the staple foods in India and is popular among those who want to lose weight.
The states that produce this millet in large quantities are Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. After the announcement of the 2023 Budget, it has received a lot of attention from citizens, farmers and the national government.
Sorghum has been grown by people ranging from Native American Indians to Northeast Africans for about 4,000 years. India and Nigeria are the main exporters of the small rice grain. It is also one of the most important cereal crops after maize, wheat, rice and barley.
To give you the nutritional value and benefits of adding it to your weight loss diet, we reached out to Anupama Menon, nutritionist, health coach, and founder and director of Right Living.
Jova Nutritional Properties
Jowar is a rich source of iron. A cup of cereal contains at least 8.45 grams of minerals that can help treat various health ailments. It's also rich in magnesium, which is popular for bone health. Magnesium helps the body absorb calcium. So if you suffer from joint pain, it might be a good idea to include sorghum in your diet.
Grains are rich in many minerals, vitamins and micronutrients. It contains copper, zinc and antioxidants. It contains a high amount of protein which helps in cell regeneration and body rejuvenation.
Jowar is also good for diabetics as it is a complex carbohydrate that takes time to digest. Hence, it helps to stabilize blood sugar levels in the body.
How does Jowar help with weight loss?
Since jowar is gluten-free, it is especially helpful for people with gluten allergies. It also takes time to digest, which means your stomach feels full for longer. So if you eat sorghum with your meals, you won't feel hungry enough to eat junk food and other unhealthy dishes.
The fiber content in the grains ensures good digestion. Therefore, it can help people who wish to lose weight.
How to Add Jowar to Your Weight Loss Diet?
Jowar flour (atta) is used to make soft bread (rotis). Making khichdi with a handful of your favorite lentils (dal) is a great option. It also goes well with some buttermilk, which also aids weight loss and is a good addition to your summer diet.
Jowar Quick Recipe
- Soak a cup of jova for about 8 to 12 hours or overnight.
- Drain. Add fresh water and a pinch of turmeric powder to the cooker. Turn off the gas after blowing the whistle three times.
- Heat a pan, add a tablespoon of oil and sauté the mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add a sliced onion, two chopped green chilies, and diced vegetables of your choice.
- Once the vegetables are softened, add the jowa, salt to taste, two teaspoons of Maggi Masala (optional), grated coconut (optional), one teaspoon of red chilli powder and half a tablespoon of coriander powder.
- Let them mix for five to eight minutes on a slow fire.
- Serve upma warm with yogurt or papaya.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sorghum flour with 3/4 cup wheat, ragi, or gram flour.
- Add half a teaspoon of ground cumin, turmeric and curry powder.
- Add one boiled mashed potato, salt to taste and a tablespoon of oil. Knead the dough and make quick healthy parathas for lunch, dinner or breakfast.
- You can also make mixed vegetable parathas by adding vegetables while rolling the dough with the rolling pin.
- Soak half a cup of jova at night.
- Chop fourth red pepper, yellow pepper, green pepper and zucchini (optional).
- Heat a pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida, and 2 chopped green chilies.
- Add vegetables and cook for three to four minutes.
- Add jowar and half cup of milk. Let everything cook together for about 10 minutes.
- Add fresh chopped cilantro and serve warm.