Guthrie doctor offers advice for long-term weight loss success | Local/Regional
GRAND FLATES, N.Y. — As the first month of 2023 draws to a close, a doctor is offering advice for people on their weight-loss journey.
On Friday, Dr. Mustafa Aman gave information on maintaining weight loss at Guthrie Big Flats and Specialties and Rehabilitation Services. He serves as Director of Bariatric Surgery and Director of the Guthrie Bariatric Center.
“We are very proud to offer a comprehensive program that meets our patients' surgical and non-surgical weight loss needs,” says Aman. “It's really that time of year when a lot of people are thinking about their struggles and looking to lose weight in the new year.”
He said Guthrie Weight Loss Center provides each patient with an individual plan tailored to their needs. Weight loss services at the center include dietary changes, nutritional counseling, exercise, weight loss medications and bariatric surgery.
Aman's first piece of advice is to get people to set specific goals and start small.
“Consistency is more important than the severity of the change,” he said. “It's a time of year when a lot of people make complete diet changes, hit the gym hard, and have very aggressive or ambitious exercise programs. Those things are great, but often difficult to maintain.”
His patients have had the most success by making small changes at first. Examples include cutting out high-sugar and processed foods and sugary drinks like soda. People should eat healthier choices such as fruits and vegetables. They should also be cautious when reading food labels to learn what ingredients are in a food.
Setting small goals and staying consistent is better in the long run than making big changes that are unsustainable in the first place, he added.
“When you keep it that way, you might not see that result for a week or two, but over time it increases dramatically and you'd be surprised how much, through these small changes, staying motivated and Be persistent, how much weight you lose,” he said.
Weight loss treatments can also reduce obesity-related health problems, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and obstructive sleep apnea, he noted.
“The science clearly shows that being overweight is the root cause of many of these health conditions,” Aman said. “By losing weight, you'll see these things improve.”
In general, Aman gave five points worthy of people's attention:
1) Start by writing down why they want to lose weight: Aman asks his patients what motivates them to lose weight besides wanting to improve their appearance. For example, he said one patient did it for her 12-year-old daughter. She wants to be more active and not miss important life experiences with her.
2) Set Small Goals: He further emphasized the importance of setting goals that can lead to long-term results. People can start with meal planning, buy healthy foods and cook more at home.
3) Find a support system: People should find others who also want to lose weight, have realistic goals, and will provide support and motivation. He also said that people should not compare their weight loss journey with others, as everyone's health needs are different.
4) Seek professional advice: Guthrie's Weight Loss Center has a full staff of doctors and nursing staff to provide weight loss services to patients.
“Obesity is a lifelong disease. It's something that many of us struggle with,” Aman said. “Two-thirds of adults in the U.S. struggle with their weight, so it's important to have a program that addresses the problem from multiple angles.”
5) Follow Up: As the weeks and months pass in the weight loss process, we encourage people to contact Guthrie for additional support.
“It’s heartening to hear that you’re not alone and that other people are going through the same thing. Just being able to connect with them helps people stay on track,” he said.
Guthrie Sayre Weight Loss Center is located at 317 W Lockhart St, Sayre, PA 18840.
The Guthrie Big Flats and Specialties and Rehabilitation Services building is located at 3344 Chambers Rd. Suite 200 Horseheads, NY 14845.